Program Assistant, Artistic and Education (Canada Summer Jobs Position)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Driven by a passion to serve its audiences in bold and innovative ways, Gateway Theatre enriches the quality of life in Richmond and surrounding communities by creating outstanding artistic offerings and by serving as a dynamic hub for the performing arts. To achieve our organizational mission and connect with the changing population of Richmond, we employ staff with eclectic and multifaceted expertise. As a group we take risks, we empower, we go beyond, we listen. We embrace difference as something that challenges our understanding and provokes our growth. So, if you won’t settle for the expected, you have found your crew.
Reporting jointly to the Director of Artistic Programs and the Education Manager, the Program Assistant will support the Artistic Department with season preparations for the artistic offerings in the 2022/23 season; the Program Assistant will also support the Education Department in Gateway Academy program registrations and preparations, efficient running of summer camps and their presentations. This position will be involved in Gateway Theatre’s summer concert, as well as learn to address the needs of Academy Faculty and participants. On occasion, the Program Assistant may also receive opportunities and training from other Department Managers. We are seeking a candidate, with strong written and verbal communication skills, who is interested in the intersections of theatre administration and producing, as well as theatre education for young people.
Responsibilities may include
- Organizing and facilitating auditions
- Attendance and duties at summer artistic events
- Data entry and record keeping
- Research and development for upcoming Artistic and Education events
- Preparations for summer camp offers
- Support / communiques with participants, youth volunteers, families and Faculty
- In-camp student supervision of ages 8-13
- Processing of registrations for summer and year-long classes
- General Administration
- Other duties as required by supervisor
Experience & Qualifications
Candidates with relevant, transferable skills who do not exactly meet the below specification are encouraged to apply
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- An ability to provide excellent customer service
- A keen interest in and understanding of theatre and performance or events
- Superior organizational and multi‐tasking skills
- Keen interest in arts education for youth
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (including Excel)
- Proven ability to balance individual initiative with working as part of a dynamic team
- Superior attention to detail
Assets (not required)
- Experience working with children & youth
- Knowledge of a second language, ideally, Cantonese or Mandarin
- Academic studies in Arts Administration, Education or Theatre Arts would all benefit from this work experience, but these fields of study are not essential.
- Experience working in special events
This position is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program. The successful applicant must:
- be between 18 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment for a period of 10 weeks
- not have another full‐time job (over 30 hours a week)
- not be attending full‐time classes while carrying out this job
- Have satisfactory Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Checks
- be at least seven days past having received all recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada, upon starting work.
- be legally able to work in Canada (Canadian citizenship, permanent residency or existing open work permit)
Schedules will be determined with supervisors, in advance, and will not exceed 7 hours/day & 30 hours/week.
Gateway Theatre strives to be an equitable and inclusive workplace. We value an open and diverse community that fosters the inclusion of many different voices. We encourage applications from members of communities that have been marginalized based on sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, or identity as an Indigenous person. We welcome self-identification in your application. Please also note any accommodations or accessibility requirements in your cover letter.
How to ApplyPlease email your resume and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the position to Renee Fajardo: email@example.com by midnight on May 29, 2022. We thank all applicants, but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
No views yet