Financial Manager and Business Support
Financial Manager and Business Support for Jean’s Chinese Restaurant
Jean’s Chinese Restaurant has incredible selection of Chinese food, located at 5972 Spring Garden Road, Halifax, Nova Scotia. We have over 50 years of experience in Chinese restaurants (including preparing food for the Japanese prime minister in 1988). Our mission is to be the best loved Chinese restaurant in Halifax. Our restaurant just went through some changes, and we are searching for a motivated individual with passion for finance and entrepreneurial spirit to take on the new role of Financial Manager and Business Support.
The Financial Manager and Business Support is responsible for compiling, analyzing, interpreting, and translating fiscal data into actionable information to drive operational and business decisions by the General Managers. This role includes but not limited to: general accounting, accounts receivable/payable, contract/lease compliance, budgeting, audit support, quarterly analysis/reporting, and monthly reconciliations. The Financial Manager and Business Support will contribute to building and framing the company’s performance metrics and budgets and will work closely with operators to improve food, labor, and other overhead costs. You are to provide your financial knowledge and expertise as a key business manager of the company. You direct the accounting and control functions of the restaurant, ensuring timely report of operation results, analyze every day financial activities and subsequently provide advice and guidance to the General Managers to make sound business decisions on future financial plans and meet the company’s objectives of expanding the business.
• Oversee key high-level financial operations (revenue, expenses, budgeting, forecasting, etc.)
• Perform daily routine accounting processes such as Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Recording Payroll, Cash Management, and Recording Journal Entries.
• Review monthly / quarterly financial performance reports and provide insight on risks and opportunities.
• Continually evaluating and providing insight on food and labor cost for the restaurant.
• Ensure accurate and timely processing of cash receipts and credit card batches.
• Ensure accurate and timely invoicing and payments of billed clients (Accounts Receivable).
• Assists in the development and implementation of company goals and priorities setting relating to financial management, budget, accounting, payroll, purchasing, inventory control, supply chain and sub-contract management and design a framework for these to be met.
• Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operation of financial activities and all accounting functions for the Restaurant.
• Prepare financial statement, bank reconciliations, variance analysis, and key indicators within time frames according to closing schedule and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles; interpreting financial information to General Manager while recommending further courses of action.
• Analyze costs, pricing, variable contributions, sales results and the company’s actual performance; Do cost efficiency analysis – make recommendations for improvement;Work with Food Service Supervisors to optimize scheduling and secure budgeted increases in productivity
• Assist in preparing annual operation budget.
• Establish the Company’s cash management Policies and Procedures manual and ensure successful cash management.
• Set up computerized data processing functions.
• Support the development of the business financial templates.
• File tax and documents, statements, letters, etc., and prepare responses.
• Perform ad hoc analysis as required to support target marketing initiatives and assess planning Gaps.
• Investigate ways to improve profitability, and analyze markets for business opportunities, such as expansion, mergers or acquisitions.
• Assist in contract negotiation and management with suppliers. Provide advice from financial perspective view on contract optimization, cost saving and expense control to improve the profit and cash flow of the restaurant.
• Responsible for staff reimbursement and coordinate staff training.
• Coordinate with delivery drivers on expense reimbursement, sales report and receipts deposit.
• Establish internal control policies and monitor the internal control system to reduce the incompliance of procedure and violation procedure.
• Supervise inventory record keeping.
• Supervise cashier, marketing staff and delivery drivers.
• Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with company policies. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training staff in coordination with General Manager; planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Must be able to walk, stand and/or sit for hours at a time. Lift and carry up to 10-30 lbs.
Reporting Line: Restaurant General Managers, by providing sound business and financial management support.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business Management required. A Master’s degree is a plus.
• 5 years of accounting or finance management experience is a must, experience in restaurant is a plus.
• Extensive experience with accounting software, spreadsheets and word processing software.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite with an emphasis in Excel.
• Management experience
Skills and Abilities
• Passion for finance and a desire to understand how a company creates shareholder value
• Accounting and budgeting experience required
• Extensive knowledge of general and cost accounting
• Excellent math skills; high aptitude for figures
• Well organized, detail oriented with big picture in mind.
• Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information is required.Strong analytical skills, organization, and curiosity to develop new methods and processes
Ability to work under limited supervision and effectively communicate with people across all areas of the business.
• Ability to work irregular hours that may vary due to functions and may include day, evening, weekends and holidays.
• Some Travel may be required
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, write, and verbally communicate effectively and professionally in English.
• Irregular work hours
• May be required to work day, evening and weekend.
Local travel required when considered necessary
How to ApplyPlease send your resume to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only selected candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
No views yet